PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Best android tablet to use for SkyDemon.
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2019, 21:06
vfr-uk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as an update, although the M3 lite 8 was good, it was a bit laggy in the display sense. Perfectly OK in flight but moving around the map planning was slightly sluggish compared to an iPad (which I do most planning on anyway). Huawei just released the M5 Lite 8 (2019 model) and I had the chance to return the other one and update. I have to say it’s significantly better and only £60 more at £199, and so I strongly recommend it. It’s small, light, fast, and latest Android. It’s so new I can’t get a screen protector or case yet so just Velcro’d It to my knee board and hope for the best.

If there was an iPad mini at this price new with GPS I’d much prefer that, but since they’re way more expensive I’m happy with the Android one - it can live in my flight bag and be mostly dedicated to flying.

I’m starting to get used to / live with most of the iOS / Android differences. Most annoying so far are printing (AirPrint is so much better and more widespread), backup (iCloud is so good for full iOS device backup) and sharing between devices.

For SkyDemon there’s practically no difference apart from an (arguably) less appealing aesthetic on menus etc. I jump between iOS and Android version most days and no problems.