PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Galaxy Flying School memories at Essendon.
Old 16th Aug 2019, 15:59
Centaurus

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
The flying school was eventually demolished and today not a trace remains. About 15 years ago or maybe more, I heard John Brown had been picked up wandering late at night along Sydney Road Brunswick or Coburg clutching a manuscript. He was taken to a nursing home in a side road adjacent to where he was found. I visited him there and was somewhat shocked at his condition. As I said it at least 15 or more years ago so I don't know if he is still there. I very much doubt it.

He didn't recognize me due to his dementia. The staff had seen his hand written manuscript which was mainly about his life with Elizabeth. He rambled on about having it published but it was never going to happen.
I tried to engage him in conversation about the old days but he was beyond it. When I saw him he was sitting at a table along with elderly inmates all of whom had long since lost their marbles. After ten minutes of trying to communicate with John, I realised he was too far gone to make sense so I quietly bade him farewell and walked away for good leaving with him the ghost of his dear Elizabeth to keep him company.

After Elizabeth had died a few years earlier he went down hill rapidly as he was so dependent on her to run Galaxy. I recall hiring his Warrior and he had to check me out although I was a experienced grade one instructor at the time. We did one circuit at Essendon. I was quite alarmed at his general demeanour as I flew the circuit and he rambled and hinted at suicide. I contacted a former RAAF colleague who was now a DCA Examiner and warned him of my concerns. I think it was Al Page but not sure as it was such a long time ago. I think DCA then closed down Galaxy although John continued to live at the flying school.

I dropped in to see him occasionally as did Al Page and others who knew him. One day John showed me a cross-bow and a target he used on the back of a door at Galaxy. This seriously concerned me and it was obvious he was going around the bend. I think I went overseas to work around then and that was the last I heard of Galaxy and John and Elizabeth Brown until the nursing home episode.. A strange couple but very much part of the history of Essendon airport and its various personalities who were around in those days.