PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The trouble with (most) aircraft museums
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2003, 20:51
Nopax,thanx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO the museums probably think that the great unwashed don't want to know such detail, so it would be wasted on all but the most serious enquirer - and the larger museums of course don't have the resources to have a volunteer at each exhibit to explain to anyone who cares to ask the intricacies of the beast on display.

A friend of mine who is not aviation related but very well-educated was shown around a supersonic jet in a museum in the States; the guide described shock waves and other phenomena but my friend had to admit that it all went way above her head.

As to the H+S issue, I didn't realise that people had got so worried about radioactive paint on instrument dials; I guess my Boost gauge had better stay in the loft! I can understand how the larger museums can't allow access to cockpits of fighter aircraft in case some little tyke cuts himself - there are lots of sticky out bits. The smaller collections seem to have avoided that one - I have a wonderful photo of Nopax junior piloting a Mirage in a French hangar back in '98...