PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2019, 05:10
RHSandLovingIt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TangoXray
Pushing 58 next month and staring at the imminent rocking chair has induced last-chance panic
so just maybe I should dump the well payed corporate chains for an FI, never to fly the big stuff, but at least to end my working life in an aircraft..
Honestly, am I too old?
I guess the question is not so much "are you too old?"... but more "what do you want to get out of it?". I don't see age as being a real issue if you are just going to go the FI route. Especially, if you can have a "serious" talk with that flight school owner about getting employment once qualified... perhaps offer to do all the (re)training required to get your FI rating throught their school?

Anyway, as I see it, your main issue is really "ROI"... As you yourself have already indicated, flying "The Big Stuff"™ isn't really going to be an option. So, your chances of recouping the costs involved of getting your quals is going to be fairly minimal. While you might have the cash to be able to do this now, where is that going to leave you for your inevitable retirement if you don't make it back through your wages/salary as an FI (assuming you can get employment)?

If the desire is simply to fly and your corporate chains are "well paid" enough... have you considered simply sticking with that and using the extra cash to fund a lifestyle where you get to fly "what you want, when you want" by adding an MEIR to your existing licence? I'm not overly familiar with the UK/EU scene, but I assume that as a private pilot you can get an IR and a ME rating on a PPL? Perhaps even a share in a warbird syndicate or something?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it should be a hard no... but that you need to consider the ramifications of sinking all your cash reserves into this endeavour, as, unfortunately, you don't have the luxury of another 20-30 years to "rebuild" if it doesn't pan out.