PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airband VHF listening 135.585 Northern high level freq.
Old 15th Aug 2019, 22:42
magpienja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airband VHF listening 135.585 Northern high level freq.

Been a life long airband listener...with a break of a few years...been listening to the Northwest high-level freq of 135.585.

A few odd things I don't understand about this freq.

With the aid of Flight Radar I hear transatlantic flights log onto the freq near the midlands but once they seem to reach the cruise altitude I hear nothing else from the aircraft or the ground controllers calling these aircraft...don't ever hear them giving instructions to change to the next sector freq.

I listened to 2 Fed Ex flights come onto this freq 135.585 as they approached the Midland around 70 miles from each other route southeast of Manchester and coast out near Southport just North of Liverpool but bar the first few communications when coming on the freq I hear no more...not ever an interaction to change to the next en-route freq.

What should this be...my antenna is a roof-mounted dipole and I live on high ground with a good horizon...I can hear high flying aircraft over 150miles plus away on my radio so they are not out of range...?

Also is 135.585 a freq that is re-broadcasted...doesn't sound like a direct transmission from the aircraft....bit tinny sounding.

Last edited by magpienja; 16th Aug 2019 at 08:13.