PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Yet more IT problems at BA
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2019, 16:02
old,not bold

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
They know the price of everything, the cost of nothing.
I was unfortunate enough, quite a long time ago, to be running an aircraft maintenance/hangar/charter facility in the UK, which was a 100%-owned subsidiary of a large construction and plant organisation which went into adminstration. The aviation subsidiary had just begun to turn an operating profit. That meant nothing; every Friday at about 3.30 someone would appear on the site from the administrators team; invariably an arrogant prat with an MBA and no idea whatsoever of how things actually work. We had a wide-range of approvals for different aircraft up to and including King Air 200. He would come into my office and without any preamble inform me that i needed to sack a number of staff, including the highest paid ie Licensed engineers. We were down to the minimum manning to maintain the licence for the approvals we had, without which we could not sign off an aircraft. I would try with enormous patience to explain to the berk that if we lost any more LAE we might as well close down the business. That would cut no ice, and I was simply incapable of understanding how things had to be. So I would then tell him to select the people who would be handed their cards that day (this is why he always came of Friday) and then tell each one, himself, face-to-face in my silent presence, that he was being fired and why. The threat of actually confronting people whose lives you were ruining because his silly little spreadsheet said they had to go was invariably enough to send him back home to Head Office, not having sacked anyone, to complain about my uncooperative attitude. But we kept the staff and head office had a good laugh. If I appear to have a contempt for MBAs and accountants that episode, along with other similar ones, is why..