PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VH-YTM final report
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2019, 08:34
junior.VH-LFA

Received 71 Likes on 25 Posts
If you really think that this isn't a case of an inexperienced operator uselessly plunging off into IMC (after just somehow miraculously not killing themselves in it minutes earlier) due to a perceived pressure that they were unable to accurately and effectively rationalise and mitigate, then you're kidding yourself.

I think that's the only really important part of the report. The stats and the like, I agree, seem pretty heavy handed and I'm not entirely sure what accuracy or even relevance I'd give them. At the end of the day the actions of the PIC were inexcusable. There is no safety related “fix.” What was carried out was a violation. In the future, there needs to be an assessment of what motivated the violation, and how to mitigate that risk in the future. If the answer to that is instituting tougher requirements, then that’s probably okay in my opinion. The death here was needless, tragic and genuinely avoidable.

That CCTV imagery is just genuinely horrifying. I can't fathom how anyone could rationalise launching BACK into that, with passengers, after so narrowly avoiding disaster and cheating death the first time; and yet it happened. Why?