PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fedex special toy
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2019, 21:02
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlightDetent
Great story, m-a! How low/close were the curved ones to establish on centerline?
I don’t recall exactly but they were pretty darn low. 100’?

Low enough that the ‘box’ just short of the runway would be in your lateral field of view while you were in banked turn trying to align with the runway.

The ‘box’ either had computer generated chevrons or was a black hole with nothing in it. Maybe so that the runway threshold was more obvious? I don’t recall, or perhaps never knew, their reasoning. Regardless, my reaction to seeing part of the chevron, out of the corner of my eye, was in turn at low altitude. I thought it was a very bad combination. Not vertigo inducing but a very strong “whoa, is that a ‘break X’ display?!? IE, go-around?!?” reaction. My feed back was that I didn’t think the design should induce that sort of reaction at low altitude (<200’??). Which is why they do the tests.

I’m guessing they put at least 5-10 crews through the same program. Maybe 200 to 400(???) ILS’s establishing line pilots reactions?

Based on the size of the box, normal field of view at 200’ AGL and 100’ AGL, I think the undesired reaction occurred around 100’ or perhaps slightly higher.