PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Douglas Bader
Thread: Douglas Bader
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2019, 11:12
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
He flew G-APUB at White Waltham and I was there as a UAS APO one day when he was seen driving his car right through the Chipmunk line. One of our Fg Off QFIs exclaimed "Who the ***k is that!", before ringing the security guard to have the car stopped at the gate whilst he made his way over to tell him off. But when he got there, Bader was politeness itself and apologised unreservedly "Awfully sorry, old boy - bit of a balls up on my behalf. Won't do it again!" All the QFI could do was to mumble "Thank you, Sir" and throw up a salute.
In the infringement I mentioned earlier, his attitude was similar.
After departure from Redhill, he flew south west and just flew around west of Gatwick still inside the Gatwick Control Zone for a while causing them to stop all departures before clearing controlled airspace to the west.
Later, after doing a beat up at Blackbushe without calling on the RTF, he called Farnborough and when informed he had caused departures at Gatwick to be stopped, he replied 'ha ha oh have I really'.
We made sure the RTF tape for that day was impounded but as I said, next day we received a message via Gatwick to 'forget it, it never happened'.
The guy at Gatwick sounded p1ssed off too.

Last edited by chevvron; 12th Aug 2019 at 11:48.