PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Spring Airlines
Thread: Spring Airlines
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2019, 03:31
zumzum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello SixTen,

I will try to give you the most unbiased info possible as you are looking to make a big step in your career.Let me try to help.
Last year many pilots left because of bad working conditions. This pushed Spring to act. They tried to improve and promised many changes: from pay-rise to better roster patterns.
This eventually stopped the bleeding as people, I assume, were waiting to see the promised changes happening.
Unfortunately this was not the case: yes they increased salaries but only for some contracts (6/3; 6/2 and full time) and decided to stop accepting any other contract option (5/4 and 4/4). At the moment you can only join spring on what they consider mid productivity contracts (6/3 and up).
Roster is not good: expect to fly mainly to Chinese destinations and to stay away from base 5/6 days out of 7. (36 hours are the norm but you should expect 48 hours rest by January 2020). A lot of operation is from Shijiazhuang (North-East of China). Probably the worst place I have ever seen. If not Shijiazhuang then Guangzhou and Shenzhen (both also not good) are also the main places you will spend most of your lonely days. Layover Hotels are well below western standards (Guangzhou however has been upgraded recently in the hope to attract some pilots to be based permanently there)

The vast majority of Instructors and local pilots (including many FOs) have very poor english levels. Those that speak good enough english are employed by the Foreign Division. Speaking of Foreign Division, your Leader (Andy) will never be there, so do not bother to contact him or count on him (he has been appointed for political reasons). Everything is run pretty much by a Taiwanese guy (Henry) which is a puppet of other leaders. He lacks any leadership and decisional skills. Please do not trust him as he is a double-faced guy. He pretends to sell you the idea that he understand westerners because he is from Taiwan and that you can talk to him. Not true, stay away. Also the same Taiwanese community distrust him.

Cultural shock will be there and it took me a while to adjust (you will never fully adjust to be honest) and to start tolerate them.
In terms of pressure well, its off the scale, but that's common to all Chinese carriers.

Regarding Sims, thats a lottery: there is a lot of stress associated with it but you should be ok unless some guy doesn't like you or you are too noisy. In fact, I believe that yes, they need some foreign pilots but they are not desperate either. So this allow them to kick people out if they want to with all the associated benefits (keep the others aligned). Sim checks work like a charm for that purpose...I hope you understand. I know of a few guys that failed a new random sim check (only for foreigners) and some of them were forced out after that. There is a new policy that will interrupt your contract immediately if you fail 2 sim checks within your 3 years contract. Keep this in mind.

Positive sides: money its ok, but as you can see, there ain't no such thing as a free lunch...

Good luck and enjoy the ride while it lasts...

zz

Last edited by zumzum; 11th Aug 2019 at 04:01.