PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates Payrise
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2019, 22:36
LHR Rain

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by harry the cod
Saul

Let's see how BA pilots get on over the next few months with their 'demand'.

UK based and with an apparently strong union, this benchmark airline has seen it's own T&C's eroded over the years. If you'd asked one of the senior pilots 10 years ago that in a decades time he'd be without a final salary pension and no bidline system, he'd have laughed in your face.

Times are forever changing and I wish the pilots well in their fight to preserve a fair wage. Sadly, there will be little sympathy for those pilots. How can the average Joe show empathy to a pilot strike, with senior Captains already earning 200K a year according to the Daily Mail? Difficult, when he's on 50K (almost double national average still!) and his family are stuck in a crowded terminal not going anywhere. Of course, the irony of then paying every other week the best part of 100 quid to watch his premiership team is lost on him, given the players are also pulling in two hundred grand....a week!

Which boils down to one simple thing. Supply and demand. Isn't that what this conversation is really all about?

Harry

It all comes down to what we are worth and it is definitely what we are currently paid. Pilots at supposedly "inferior" airlines are engaging in Job Actions this summer for better T&Cs and what are we doing, defending the company and telling everyone it is not that bad or telling ourselves that. We are a joke. What International pilot makes less than us? I know there are some but not many. It is time to get paid what we are worth instead of this race to the Bottom mentality. Even Ryanair is flexing some of their muscle in the weeks to come. Not us.
On a side note it is good to have you back Harry. I'm glad you didn't go to Easy Jet even though you are probably regretting that decision now.