PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Bovingdon - 1960s
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2019, 19:32
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
PLEASE it was called the 'Chesham Shuttle'!!!
I travelled on it many times prior to electrification in 1961 probably from '48 or '49 as my dad couldn't afford a car (and I remember travelling on a DMU which was tested on the line in the mid '50s) and on the last day of steam operation I was lucky enough to travel from Little Chalfont to Chesham in the cab of the loco.
I'm guessing your photo, taken from Raans Road Bridge, was on the final day as you can see the 3rd and 4th rails clearly and there are people hanging out of the windows.
Those carriages are still in use and can be travelled in on 'The Bluebell Line' in Sussex apart from one which I believe is on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway (might have been moved to the LT Museum at Covent Garden), but beware, they're not gangwayed so whatever compartment you get into, you're stuck there until the next stop.
There were 2 sets of 3 coaches and they were rotated every 2 weeks I think; converted from the first EMUs to pull and push.

Amended to say I lied.
Thinking back, I recall both sets of coaches were transferred to the Isle of Wight for their services from Ryde Pier Head (meeting the boats from Portsmouth and Southsea) and remained in service until the line was electrified in 1967 using ex LT tube trains. Four coaches then went to the Bluebell Line, one was returned to LT and one remained on the Island.

Last edited by chevvron; 12th Aug 2019 at 11:01.