PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand on collective?
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2019, 04:38
Old Dogs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy
As a PPL(H), I was taught to always have my left hand on the collective (unless using it to do something flying related, like tune the radio or pick up the map).

I was recently watching some YouTube videos in which a CPL(H) regularly takes their hand off the collective and rests it on their thigh. It struck me as a very odd habit to get into.

How common is this?
Typical IFR habit.

In IFR we fly by numbers.

For example, in a 212 set 85%Q for the climb. You should lose 2%Q per 1000 feet.

If you are NOT losing 2%Q per 1000 you are picking up ice.

I have seen a 212 GAIN 10%Q in 1000 feet which lets you know you are pickin' up a ton of ice.

So after a rig takeoff at sea level and a climb at the initial power setting of 85%Q you arrive at 5000 with 80%Q.

Was that you moving the collective or is it ice?

Same thing on descent.

For example, set 50%Q and you should gain 2%Q per 1000 feet of descent.

If you are not gaining 2%Q per 1000 feet you are picking up ice.

Same thing for cruise - set power and take your hand off the collective. Q should stay the same until you move the collective. If Q starts to climb you are picking up ice.

This method tells you if you are picking up ice in climb, cruise or descent, and more importantly, how much and how rapidly.

If you keep your hand on the collective the tendency is to move it. Most IFR instructors I know suggest that you set desired power and take your hand off the collective​​​​​​.

We used the same procedure the same on 214ST, 58, 61, 76.

​​​​​​Edit: After reading the other responses I would add that your hand should be on your left thigh. So while it is off the collective it is close if you need to act quickly.