PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - S7 Close one at Domodedovo
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 18:20
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dixi.
There were always lots of opinions about "leaving RWY behind You" as a risk issue. I tend to disagree, then why Take Off from runways that did not have room to spare? Or carry another 10T of fuel just because it feels better?
I saw my job as being a risk manager, and if time or money could be saved I'd always opt for the cheapest/quickest way to get airborne.
Come to speak of risk: I was never very much at ease when after waiting on the TWY for the one degree drop in temperature in Mexico city, to be legal for the evening T/O, getting the fully laden B744 off the ground. Seeing the opposite red THR lights pass under You, still slowly rotating towards target climb attitude....
BTW, as far as I know all airlines use the OAT as reference for the TO Distance, how about TOR (Temperature Over RWY....) Probably airlines will not like to be remembered at this. Black tarmac sitting in the sun all day with no wind....engines sucking that hot air from just a few feet above it...

This video shows the the 737 not really willing to get airborne, even with its nose pointed up. Looks like not enough power. Will be interesting to read the report, if the pilots used old style "firewalling" the throttles when they saw they were running out of concrete. Or is that something the glass cockpit drivers are forgetting also? OK, OK, we old style manual flyers, we had the "Potomac" accident as well...so nothing new...