PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Japanese trying to become a pilot
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 16:06
av8beyond

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tendon Pilot
Yup! Definitely! Planning to get a JCAB and Transport Canada Medical check done some time this summer!
Hi Tendon Pilot,

From the info you originally posted about yourself, I see that you:

-Graduated university from America with an aerospace engineering degree
-worked for ANA as an aircraft mechanic mainly with Boeing aircraft

I have experience with both the Canadian and the US systems; I hold pilot licenses from both countries, but am a citizen of neither. I will make a suggestion that may be quite different than the others you've received.

Your best bet if you want to work as a pilot in Canada is to try and get a job offer there first as an aircraft engineer, i.e., in the same field in which you worked in Japan. With the job offer in hand, it should be relatively easy for you to apply and get Landed Immigrant status in Canada (permanent residency) since you already have at least 1 year's work experience in the field that you will be pursuing in Canada. Once in Canada as a PR, you can work for a while as a engineer while getting your pilot ratings, then quit the engineering field and find work as a pilot with no restrictions.

The reason behind my suggestion is that it is almost impossible to emigrate these days to a western country as a pilot, but Canada will happily take engineers. Immigration Canada maintains an "Approved Professions" list, so you can check for yourself. Google: National Occupational Classification (NOC).

Cheers and good luck.