PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NAS Area frequencies and boundaries
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2003, 10:37
max1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having followed most of the Nas threads, I thought I'd throw my two bobs worth in . I've been a controller for seventeen years.

We have, in the last 5-10 years ,seen major changes and reductions in staff numbers. The do more with less mantra. Thats fine. Most of these changes haven't been well thought out at a middle management level and usually involve the workface making it work until it is properly thought out .e.g. the TAAATS system is somewhere in the 19 000 faults area in 6 years. The great majority of controllers are here to help, we don't get any joy from delaying aircraft or denying clearances.

NAS looks like it is going to happen, well thats something else we have to implement. My greatest concern is that if the nightmare does occur ( a midair), however remote some may see that as happening, who are the lawyers going to go after? The people with the most money ( insurance), which will probably Asa.

What will Asa do? , try to prove that the controller was at fault and Asa was blameless. I have seen it occur. The Seaview incident is still vivid in my mind, the controllers ,who were blameless were deeply affected by their grillings by lawyers with 20/20 hindsight and glib tongues. And our employers did jacksh*t to assist.

If something does happen (however remote) my sincere condolences to the families, but spare a thought for the controller who will no doubt be tried to be fitted up with the blame for the whole fiasco. Even though he never spoke to the aircraft nor saw either of them on radar, even though the controller did everything by the book, he is the bunny and the most conveneient scapegoat. Think about it before replying