PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Iran
Thread: Iran
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2019, 10:07
Capt Kremmen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Investment ín the development, planning, construction and maintenance of a countries armed forces requires that those forces present, apart from offensive capability, a realistic and believable defence threat. In other words, a credible deterrent.

That deterrent value, was, in the incident under discussion, swiftly swept away by the Iranians who then went on their national TV network to expose RN personnel to further ridicule and derision.

At no point in this discussion have I suggested that a short range exchange of small arms fire would have provided an immediate solution. Those here that think I have, are ahead of themselves. I do not believe that the Iranians would first have opened fire. That wasn't necessary - they had read the situation all too well.

In the absence of any close support, all our people could do was maintain a separation and withdraw. Any moves by the Iranians towards a forcible arrest could then have been met with an appropriate response and one that required a demonstration of resolution and determination.

It seems that judged by the content of some of the criticisms aimed at me that appeasement still enjoys a certain popularity.