PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham Airshow Crash Trial
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2019, 17:26
Easy Street

Received 78 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by airsound
G0ULI - you said
Quote:
PPRuNe readers are in possession of information and/or experience that was not made available to the jury

Sorry but that's just not true.
It is true. We are in possession of the information that the AAIB has not seen fit to change its findings in the light of the court verdict, and those currently serving may also have seen a RAFCAM note to duty holders on the issues raised. I don’t think anyone is trying to argue that the verdict was wrong on the case as presented. Indeed given the differences in ‘question’ and standard of proof between criminal trial and accident investigation, the verdict can coexist perfectly well with the AAIB findings without the need for face-saving by any party to this discussion.

Where I think the discussion has a valid purpose, and maybe needs to carry on in a differently-titled thread without specific reference to AH, is on the implications for medical standards and screening, AvMed training for AMOs and aircrew, flying supervision, discipline and accountability. For instance what would the position be if, despite a claim of CI, a military pilot was found to be negligent in an occurrence, disciplined, and then took redress in civil law against the effect of the disciplinary action on their career? What does a claim of CI mean for their future flying career, anyway? Lots of questions to hamster wheel over...

My final thought in this thread. Many experienced aircrew, on here and in my personal acquaintance, have real-life experience of making rapid sequential and unrelated errors while flying high-performance jets, typically under some form of pressure or distraction. With no slight intended to Dr Jarvis and his impressive body of work, I do wonder whether this area would benefit from more research given that a scenario he found incredible appears quite credible to many practitioners. Improvements in reporting culture in recent years might make fast jet pilots more willing to share details of their ‘low average’ moments with HF researchers if asked on a rigorous survey (of the sort routinely done by RAFCAM for disorientation and G-LOC). Out.

Last edited by Easy Street; 8th Aug 2019 at 19:04.