PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Southend-2
Thread: Southend-2
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2019, 11:15
LTNman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Passengers kip down overnight in out of the way places around Luton's terminal. Some even bring their sleeping bags but it is just tolerated. The majority just use the seating areas or stay awake by using the land side coffee shops etc which are all 24 hour.

I’d suggest the passengers it will affect aren’t of any value to the airport anyway because they won’t spend anything and by virtue of seeking cheapest fare available would in fact return when a £5 flight to Dublin is available.
All passengers should be valued so it is disingenuous to suggest that the airport should shun travellers on a tight budget. It is those very passengers that fill the cheapest seats which allows those with more money to book the higher price tickets otherwise they would be taking the cheapest seats with the expensive seats remaining unsold.

If the airport wants to be a big player in the London market then it needs to act as a big player and give customers basic overnight facilities they expect. Maybe there should be a campaign in the local press for a 24 hour portaloo and hot dog stand to be provided on the station platform while passengers wait to be let into the terminal as a half way measure. With first flights around 6:30 many passengers, even those with money, will be arriving before the key is turned in the lock. I would love to know exactly how many people are queuing up outside the door at 4am but as a passenger who routinely arrives 3 hours before departure I would also be in that queue if I knew no better.

Last edited by LTNman; 8th Aug 2019 at 14:09.