PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozzies can’t fly when it’s windy?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2019, 09:40
ManaAdaSystem

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by itsnotthatbloodyhard

What you don’t seem to understand, because you’re too busy casting slurs at other pilots and basking in the glow of your own perceived superiority, is this: ATC nominates the duty runway (not just here, but everywhere). If we feel the need, we’ll require a different runway - which happens not infrequently (contrary to what you claim above). The thing is, that will usually impose an additional delay due to not fitting in with the overall traffic flow. So you can turn up and demonstrate your awesomeness by requiring a runway with 35 kt crosswind (or maybe a 10 kt tailwind to give you a shorter taxi to the gate?), and your 30 minutes holding is now 60 minutes. The rest of us will try to operate in the framework we’re given, be less awesome than you, and arrive at the gate long before you do.

My friend, I don’t claim to be superior in any way. This discussion was started by me because I passed through SYD and the airport had multiple cancellations and hours of delays because ATC decided to go to single runway use based on a forecast and not the real weather. Until midday the crosswind stayed below 17 kts. The airlines got the bill for a decision that no pilots had a say in.
You can’t see the forest for all the trees!
This would not be acceptable anywhere else, but you all think this is the way it should be.