PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ozzies can’t fly when it’s windy?
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2019, 05:55
JPJP

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LeadSled
Indeed, a good friend of mine has just completed a B737 Classic type rating in US, and the problems of stalling out a stab, and how to handle it were pretty much the same as my first B707 endorsement, or my UK CAA and FAA type rating flight test for a B707/720 many years ago ---- some "issues" are not new ---- and in ALL cases, the stab trim cutout switches are in exactly the same place.
Thats a really cool story about your friend and his classic type rating. Ask him what the fundamental difference is between the MAX’s Stab Trim Cutout switch’s, and every other 737 that’s ever been built ?

[Long Silence]

He doesn’t know ? That makes sense. Since Boeing didn’t tell anyone else either. Including pilots trained on the MAX.

Ask him what he’d do if the airspeed showed a stall, he then lost airspeed indications, the stick shaker went off, and the stab trim tried to drive the nose repeatedly into the ground. All at the same time. Whilst he has climb power set and he was at 1500 AGL. All of this with only a single piece of gibberish written by management, provided on an iPad to inform him. Not the months of information we have now, written in the blood of 350 dead passengers and crew.

[time for honest reflection. Not internet bravado and recalling the good old days of the 707]

Read the reports of the well informed test pilots that crashed the MAX repeatedly under the same conditions. In a simulator. When they knew what was going to happen.

Fkin armchair warriors.

(Yes, I’ve flown the Classic, the NG and the MAX)