PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde's Take Off Performance Falsified?
Old 2nd Jan 2002, 18:24
Speedbird48

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

OK Guys, lets get away from the slanging match and the fact the the RAF may get more simulator time than civilians and look at a few facts.
The MD11 "expert" would perhaps like to try his airplane at MTOW with the gear stuck down, one engine out and T/O flap extended, with out losing a second engine. Losing hydraulics for the controls would add another factor that would not help. Although the three engines against four issue will be a factor.
Also as Gemini has only had MD11's for about two years and has only been in existance for three and he is an F/O must show something but then I am doing the slanging now!!
As one of the few Americans that was qualified on the VC10, it will indeed fly away on two at MTOW, BUT, only IF "everything" is in your favor. By thatI mean wind/temp./density alt/obstructions/pilot technique etc. PLUS of course that the Flying Pilot asks for the gear to be raised and/or the Non Flying Pilot does indeed raise the gear. So leave the Engineer screwing up part out of it, Beagle, pilots are not the almighty even if you are RAF! Actually if the two pilots forget I daresay, even in the RAF, the F/E would remind you to do it,if you would listen!
I also note the the publication that printed the letter is one of the "great" aviation magazines??
The A/F Concorde guys did their very best with what they were given and do not need to be outguessed by Monday Morning Quarterbacks.
If the airplane had rearview mirrors they might have been a bit better off but that is not reality.