PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff-2
Thread: Cardiff-2
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2019, 09:25
GAXLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bycrewlgw

the CWL-DOH is often compared to NCL-DXB route. I saw yesterday on the CAA website that in its first year EK carried 44,000 from NCL not sure of the load factor but that couldn’t have been great either. As others have said, QR could actually be making money on this route. 👍🏻
Newcastle-Dubai commenced September 1st 2007 so, if your first year analysis is for 2007, that was just four months operation. UK-Doha will always struggle as it is not a large destination in its own right. I have been to both Doha and Dubai. I am not convinced the World Cup alone is going to change that. So it is not right to compare the two routes - different airlines, different destinations, different catchments in respect of competition from other airports. The list could go on....

it it is great that, if you live in South Wales, there is an easy way to reach destinations beyond Doha on a daily basis. However, at the moment the route appears to be struggling and Cardiff is fortunate that the airlines pockets appear to be extremely deep. It might eventually get to where it needs to be but I would say the jury is still out on this. Meanwhile the airport will be working hard to make it sustainable so let us hope they are successful in encouraging growth in volumes and yield.