PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mike Ramsden
Thread: Mike Ramsden
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2019, 09:13
Georgeablelovehowindia
Death Cruiser Flight Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 1965 'Flight' advertised for a trainee journalist. In a fit of enthusiasm, which makes me cringe with embarrassment now, I applied and got an interview. It was one to one, with Mike Ramsden on a grey and depressing day, in the somewhat grey and depressing surrounds of Dorset House, Stamford Street, London E1. During the course of the interview he asked me, given the choice, what would be my favourite aeroplane to fly. 'Flight' had recently exchanged the Gemini for a Beagle Airedale, so - grovel, grovel - I chose the latter. (Support the British aircraft industry against these damned new Cessna and Piper interlopers, eh?) I was briefly informed that, in JMR's opinion, the Airedale was a heap, and the choice had not been his! I didn't get the job, but was interested to see that the Airedale subsequently departed, to be replaced by the Baron G-ASDO.

I think it was after a change of ownership of the magazine, and the move to Tolworth Tower off the A3, that something in 'Straight and Level' caused threat of legal action and the column disappeared for some considerable time. Eventually it came back with the opening line; "Right, as I was saying, before I was interrupted ..."

Sir Charles Boost of Plummet Airlines and his GLOW-PUFF cigar - that was another one.