Thread: Hunter Training
View Single Post
Old 7th Aug 2019, 05:59
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 117 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by BEagle
jindabyne , there was a fatal Hunter accident near Shawbury involving a Jordanian student in 1973, but when was the Iraqi student accident?

The 2 Arab students on 3 sqn in my time were a Qatari prince (he had the E-type) and Sammy, whose nationality I cannot recall. A bit of a clever chap with electronics too - he converted a radio he had so that it would act as a transmitter and then used it to play taped Arab music to another radio he had whilst he took a bath.
I think the reference concerns the mid-air at Valley the remains of which landed on a holiday caravan park sadly killing several holidaymakers. The accident occurred around the mid morning break time in Gaydon hangar, it was a nice sunny day so we were all outside and had the misfortune to witness the accident.

The "lighter side " for want of a better term given the tragic circumstances, was the fire engine that went through the crash gate located opposite the then popular tourist parking area on the immediate right as you crossed the railway bridge......allegedly, there were claims for damages due to the redistribution of the crash gate into various parked vehicles ....some will recall the signs saying parking in this location " was not a good idea ".