PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2019, 14:49
longer ron

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by cyflyer
I believe he retained his rank of Sgt, because he was an instructor, and technically you cannot have an LAC as a flying Instructor, and was busted in rank later on. Importantly, it confirms he was instructing and hence why at EFTS for a year, as per suspicions. It means he must have been flying before the war, probably, but not proven, at Cambridge University Air Squadron. The CUAS files do not list student flyers, and there's no way of confirming if someone did attend Cambridge University.
Well done on confirming the Court Martial Cyflyer !
I would have thought it likely that any pre war service with either CUAS or RAFVR would have been noted on his service record (although I must admit that I do not know for sure ) but as I have alluded to in a previous post - there were less orthodox ways of getting 'Wings' in the early stages of both World Wars.One scenario might be that (say) if a prewar pilot was a civvy QFI then the RAF in 1939/early 1940 might well have given the civvy QFI his 'Wings' on the proviso that he was restricted to elementary flying instruction - any other/further role would then require SFTS etc.

If anybody thinks that is an unlikely scenario then I would mention R A Carter.

Carter went solo in june 1935 at Cambridge and I suspect by 1939 had still not amassed a huge number of hours (lack of money) - anyway he arrived at No2 CPF (Coastal Patrol Flight) Abbotsinch in Dec 1939 attired in Plus Fours and a Pork Pie Hat without uniform (so obviously had not even been through ITW or any other service training) and another pilot kindly sewed his wings and chevrons onto his brand new uniform for him.The CO (P/O Tillet) said ''Whatever have they sent me now - a pilot without wings ? ''.Nevertheless - one check flight and Carter was off on his own for some 'sector recces' and then onto 'Scarecrow Patrols' off the West Coast of scotland - the winter of 39/40 was quite severe so not a pleasant few months.
Carter survived the war and went to South Africa - there was a R A Carter commissioned into the RAF Regiment later in the war but not sure if the same gentleman.
(some details in The Tiger Moth Story by Bramson and Birch)

In WW1 - Frank T Courtney joined the RFC as an AM2 (Air Mechanic 2nd class - equivalent to A/C Plonk in the RAF) and volunteered to instruct (there was a critical shortage of instructors at that time) on the strength of his apprenticeship at the Grahame-White Aircraft Company in 1913 and attaining his civilian pilot's certificate in Aug. 1914 - he was eventually given his 'Wings' whilst still an AM2 (later - Corporal) - eventually he managed to get out to France and fly operationally even though Trenchard was against this idea (FTC wore spectacles),he finished the war as a Captain RFC and later became a well known freelance test pilot.
More details in his excellent autobio Flight Path - some great stories in there - including test flying Cierva Autogyros.