PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Drops ‘Reserve’ Suffix from its Squadrons
Old 6th Aug 2019, 13:09
Training Risky

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Lima Juliet
Training Risky

This came out in an RAF IBN about 18 months ago. Not really any extra Sqns being formed as such (apart from 25 Sqn at RAF Valley), just taking away the awful ‘(Reserve)’ status. I say that because I have been a front-line OCU Instructor and been used on Ops and big training Exs whilst on the so-called ‘Reserve’ unit - in fact at one point carrying out the flying-comptence STANEVAL assessment of the Front-Line Aircrew. So, I personally think this is a good idea.
Ah...so it has been just an internal re-org and not made too public. I agree with you to a point on the front-line nature of many FJ OCUs: on 20(R) Sqn we did some very punchy stuff, including loaning me as Sqinto/Opso to 3(F) Sqn for their Herrick workup. It didn't feel very 'Reserve'.

But to refer to a Tutor EFT outfit as 16 Sqn??!! Anyone remember JEFTS? When I was there, 16 (Reserve) flew Jags! Seems a bit of a fig leaf really. But I could be over-reacting...ho hum.