PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 5th Aug 2019, 22:05
tdracer

Received 180 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
Something that always comes to my mind- AFAIK, there has been no instance of an intoxicated pilot causing death or injury flying an airliner, yet being caught over the limit (though BELOW the limit for driving) seems to carry an automatic, lengthy jail term.

We KNOW that MANY lives are lost each year to drunk drivers,yet it takes multiple offences before any DUI driver is jailed, and then often for short periods.

Showing up intoxicated to fly is obviously a heinously irresponsible act. I would expect anyone doing this to be sacked, face licence loss or lengthy suspension, and face large civil fines, but why is it an automatic jail sentence for something we have no evidence has ever actually hurt anyone?
Actually there was a 737 crash in (IIRC) Russia - I'm thinking roughly 20 years ago - where the autopsy found the PF to be drunk. Not impaired, drunk. It's been long enough I don't recall details (PPRuNe being what it is, I'm sure someone will be along to fill in) but there were no survivors.
There was a fatal turboprop crash in Colorado several years back where it was found both pilots were under the influence of cocaine.
I would not be at all surprised if there are others.
I don't know where you live, but in many parts of the United States, DUI is mandatory jail time (at least overnight).

To the original point, while a breathalyzer might be a good screen - as others have noted they are not terribly accurate - certainly not accurate enough for a presumption of guilt.