PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 5th Aug 2019, 21:56
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Wizofoz
Something that always comes to my mind- AFAIK, there has been no instance of an intoxicated pilot causing death or injury flying an airliner, yet being caught over the limit (though BELOW the limit for driving) seems to carry an automatic, lengthy jail term.

We KNOW that MANY lives are lost each year to drunk drivers,yet it takes multiple offences before any DUI driver is jailed, and then often for short periods.

Showing up intoxicated to fly is obviously a heinously irresponsible act. I would expect anyone doing this to be sacked, face licence loss or lengthy suspension, and face large civil fines, but why is it an automatic jail sentence for something we have no evidence has ever actually hurt anyone?
The intent to crew the flight while over the limit (note, not the same as 'drunk', or even 'under the influence') is what counts, as well as the potential outcome if your BAC contributes to an accident. I can't recall any incidents where alcohol contributed, but we could all probably bring up a couple dozen where fatigue was a factor...HERE's an incident where parents were 'outraged' at the lenient treatment to a school bus driver who was most assuredly drunk (0.15) with kids on board when she nearly crashed, so the door does swing both ways, even if it is not completely equitable, the courts take a dim view of anything 'aviation' related overly and in some cases, IMHO, wrongly over-emphasising the safety-critical and responsibilities associated with the job.