PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - G1000 Management
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2019, 16:27
Banana Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by covec
Hello.

I'm renewing a lapsed IR (had to redo 5 exams).

My first IR was on the Seneca. Now on a DA42.

Keep making "switch pigs". Does anyone have a method of managing the G1000 in terms of Comms/Nav/Brg1/Brg2/CDI1/CDI2/DME/ADF?

I do have a Com & Nav Plan made up for each route.

NB Not doing RNAV just yet: just the old style IR. Will deal with that later (before Aug 2020 of course).
I did all of my training on Garmin equipped aircraft. What worked for me was that least was better. For example in a holding, I would only keep the related CDI on it and its bearing pointer to assess the progress in the hold. Same thing on a DME arc.
If I had to fly outbound on a radial, at some point I would remove the said CDI and keep flying on its bearing pointer and set up the second CDI to intercept the next radial from another station.

For comms I only used Comms 1. I would use Comms 2 only to monitor 121,5 and listen to the ATIS.

I suggest you get a training software to practice. It is a fully-fledged FMS, and while for your typical IR you will use only a little part of it, with practice your management of CDI's, bearing pointers, ADF and DME indications will quickly improve. And of course the PBN portion will be more mangeable.