PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hunter Training
Thread: Hunter Training
View Single Post
Old 5th Aug 2019, 12:46
Dominator2

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
My Flying Training progression was JP3, JP5, Hunter T7, F6 and then TWU and Phantom OCU. I should have flown the Gnat at Valley but was involved in a RTA. Once I gained a Med Cat the CFI said "you can either wait 9 month for a Gnat course or start on Hunters next week". The decision was easy.

Apart from the Hunters at Valley being used for RAF students who were too big for the Gnat it was also used for foreign students. While I was at Valley we had Singaporeans and pilots from many Middle Eastern countries including Oman and Kuwait. The atmosphere on 3 Sqn at Valley was really relaxed and good fun. Because the aircraft had fewer vices than the Gnat we gained extra solo trips in the Hunter F6 (the hottest Hunter around). I was lucky enough to hold beween AFTS and TWU at Valley and continue to be allocated Hunter hours. Between both courses and holding I accumulated over 200 hrs on the Hunter, how lucky.

The natural progression in types, the flying hours available and the continuity greatly assisted in mastering the Phantom. (In truth I didn't master the Phantom until I had gained over 1000 hrs).