PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 4th Aug 2019, 22:07
KRviator

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Breathalyzers are screening devices with some accuracy flaws (name a device that doesn't have flaws). That inaccuracy may win you a blood test. In the meantime, you're guilty until proven innocent...and still get to be that guy pulled off his flight for being "drunk" even when you weren't.
But if people are happy being treated like that I guess I'm happy for them.
I don't fly professionally anymore - thank god - but still work in an occupation where the regulator can be standing at my mailbox as I reverse out of the driveway in uniform and breath and drug test me on my way to work. They never would go to someones house, but the legislation is written that way to stop people 'going sick' in the carpark when they hear the testers are on-site. Am I happy for that? Bloody oath I am. I have to trust my colleagues with my life, with no recourse at times, it isn't like an airliner where you can overpower or palm off certain duties to your Coey...And after seeing a goodly number of (usually younger) crews getting busted for it and pushed out the door means I have more confidence in going home at the end of the shift. Those of that have failed AOD tests (with reason, ie Codiene medication etc) usually see it as a bit of a chuckle as you get a (fully paid) day or two off until the confirmatory results come back. No one here bats an eye and there is no stigma associated with a reasonable non-negative result.

Originally Posted by Navcant
In Japan, city bus drivers are required to pass a breathalyzer test before starting their shift.
Just saying.
And I bet they don't have a problem with that. Neither would I - in fact I'd welcome it at my work, rather than a handful of crew getting picked for 'random' tests every day.

Originally Posted by Webby737
It's another check that just adds more misery in trying to get to the aircraft, the security screening in some countries is already a right pain in the backside, the last thing we need are more checks.
Proving yourself legally capable of operating the aircraft by a 10 second blow-in-the-tube adds misery? C'mon...