PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 4th Aug 2019, 19:46
golfyankeesierra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by serf
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfyankeesierra
Not mentioning this as an excuse, but some European layovers must be hard for Americans.
When I (as an European) am Stateside, in the evenings the Jetlag sometimes makes me too tired to stand up, let alone hold a beer. In the Far East, otoh, in the evenings I have so much energy that I am glad to have only a few hours sleep before a morning departure back home.
So while my personal chances to be over the limit in the US are zero without even thinking about it, in the East I have to be consciously aware of limits when, if or how much to drink.
I guess that works the same for Americans in Europe.
While absolutely disapproving drinking and flying, and recognizing problematic use, I also see a bigger risk for honest (and stupid) mistakes for them overhere.

Why would you drink anything on a layover?

Because some of us spend more nights away then at home, and even then some nights at home are the night before a duty.
And some of us would like to enjoy a beer or a good glass of wine once in a while.

My point was that because of the timezones, jetlag and EB departure times it is much easier for an American pilot in Europe to fall in a pit of his own making and drink one too many..