PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 4th Aug 2019, 16:32
Imagegear

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
As you say, the Breathalyzer can provide false positives so is normally not the final authority on impairment, a formal blood test will confirm the results some time later, but the blood test may also occur too late to confirm the limit being exceeded. Does that mean that some pilots intended to fly while impaired? but it could not be proved because of limitations in the equipment and processes available?.

I am not going to comment on whether the actual suspicions which give rise to a Breathalyzer test, for I agree that the powers that be, exceed their authority in some situations, due to jealousy, greed, and a false sense of authority. However this should be dealt with as a separate issue. As for the media's handling of these cases, I find their activities deplorable and frankly deserving of litigation when they cross the line. (I have already seen mention of the word "drunk" and that should meet with an appropriate response, A five line retraction at the bottom of page ten, does not cut it.)

As has been stated, this event is likely to result in a more expanded process to determine results quickly. Some airlines and nations are not even waiting for a better process to be introduced, preferring to err on the side of caution and safety. I, for one, appreciate that.

IG