PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Suspected drink drivers again - surely not?-
Old 4th Aug 2019, 15:36
Imagegear

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts
...and I quote from the "Max" thread:

Further to GordonR’s reply, I would add that the regulatory assumption of a 3-second response time to trim runaway is highly questionable. The operating data manual for my (military) type assumes a 3.5-second pilot response time for loss of thrust during takeoff, and that’s a readily-diagnosed failure where the pilot can reasonably be assumed to be in a state of optimum vigilance with hand on throttle, ready to cut. Contrast that with trim runaway on a 737, where the first second or two could easily be rationalised away as speed trim, leaving only another second to complete the diagnosis and instruct PNF to cutout the trim. Then add more time for PNF to process this startling instruction and find, unguard and flip the switches. Then maybe add more time for CRM SOPs (“state the malfunction”... “memory items”...), depending on company culture and crew experience. The Mentour Pilot video from months ago may have exaggerated this grossly (10:10 to 11:25 at the link below), but whichever way you look at it, an allowance of only 3 seconds to isolate the trim implies an optimistic assessment of human startle response.
Would you want to ride with any pilot who is impaired by drink? and the requirements for reaction and response time could be as short as quoted above?

Yes, this is the MAX but I doubt that the reaction and response times required are much more.

If there is nothing to hide there is nothing to fear in this regard.

IG