PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF FLIGHT JACKET
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2019, 07:41
BEagle

Received 270 Likes on 109 Posts
Award of the RAF Flying Badge is made only upon completion of an extremely demanding course of flying training, which will take many years under the present chaos. It is hardly a 'bit of embroidery'...

Some years ago, one of our Sqn Ldr Spec Aircrew navigators obtained a name badge for his airshow lady friend, which included the RAF Flying Badge. She would then strut around in an RAF flying suit with Sqn Ldr rank braid and this name badge... I was at an airshow at one stateside venue, which was most pleasant. Amongst our US aircrew visitors was 'Killer', a short, rather punchy 'fightergator' who instructed baby navs on the T-43 and who had a wicked sense of humour. After chatting with him for a few minutes, he asked me "Where's your AC (Aircraft Commander)?". "I'm the AC", I told him. "No, the female major", he queried. After I explained the situation, his previous humour evaporated. "Wearing something to which you're not entitled is bad enough, but lying to a brother aviator, that's unforgiveable!", he growled.