PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Perth - speed up - slow down
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2019, 06:40
Blueskymine

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by josephfeatherweight
No such luck for me - have approached the FMS manufacturer for answers and they have not been forthcoming. Would like to know how to achieve over a waypoint to the second?
When you say "buses" do you mean Airbus aircraft?
The limited number of FMSs I have experience on show an estimate time over the waypoint to the minute - and that "minute" is actually (sensibly) based on the half-minute:
ie if the actual waypoint crossing time is 12:05:29(secs) it would show a crossing time of 12:05 - if the actual crossing time is 12:05:31(secs), it would should a crossing time of 12:06.
This is NOT utilising an RTA feature, however - which I don't have in the FMS installed on the aircraft I fly. Makes the "30 secs early, but not late" thingy difficult without doing it manually.
Perhaps some FMSs display an estimated crossing time to the second?
Out of interest, are ATCer's aware of these limitations?

When you go to the RTA prompt at a waypoint it will give you the current estimate to the second.

The flight plan page only gives you to the minute based on your above observations. So does a time marker.

I personally use a time marker and cross check the estimate at the RTA page. Then you can see the trend and stoke the boilers or save the planet.