PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TUI Airways
Thread: TUI Airways
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 18:10
Vokes55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyH

I don’t think this is an argument that anyone can win against you!

However, Jet2 do still take second hand aircrafts into their fleet, they’ve got plans to do this now. That is a fact. Therefore, for you to say their model isn’t sustainable I can say confidently you are wrong. You have an opinion that you’re right but I strongly disagree. Jet2 are strongly outgrowing their competitors within the leisure market and they’ve got strong accounts. That to me shows a growing and sustainable airline. It is ever changing market but I would be quite confident, like I’m sure they are too, that their model will continue to work.

You also need to have a look at the facts when a flight is cancelled. You mention losses you cannot recoup from cancelled flights. I think you need to have a look at the EU directive and the fact customers can recoup accommodation and other associated costs. It’s irrelevant whether the flight is delayed or cancelled. The chances are if you’re on a cancelled flight, especially with BA/Easyjet, you’d get to your destination in the same amount of time as a TUI delayed flight this summer - 24 and 48 hour delays have been common.

I’m not going to get involved in a long winded debate, it’s fine to have an opinion, but I disagree with you.
I can speak from personal experience that I did not recoup all of the consequential losses from a cancelled flight with BA, and this was a cancellation that fell under EU/261 - anything weather or ATC related (or if the airline can somehow claim it is weather or ATC related, even if it isn't) and you don't stand a chance. Your travel insurance probably won't cover consequential loss either. And if you honestly believe that BA/easyJet have 200+ spare seats on holiday routes within 24-48 hours in the height of summer, you're naive at best.

I'd also disagree that "24 and 48 hour delays have been common". They haven't been "common" at all, that's a misconception generated by FR24 obsessed spotters contributing to this thread. easyJet have cancelled more flights out of Gatwick today (6) than there have been 24+ hour TUI delays out of Gatwick all Summer (2). I can't speak for other bases as I don't have the statistics, but one or two 24+ delays per week on a program of over 1500 flights per week is hardly "common".

As for Jet2, used 737NGs are still more expensive than owned 757s and 737-300s, which cost diddly squat to keep on the ground. Your opinion on the rest of the airline's model is respected, but ultimately irrelevant to the conversation.