PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Strategy for Thunderstorms on Approach
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 13:50
sonicbum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokey Lomcevak
Whilst we’re on the topic of BOM and CB’s - an alternative question if I may...

I’ll be heading there tomorrow - although ts not my first visit it will be the first time I’ve been during the wet monsoon. Does anyone have any experience of opting not to fly through a CB on final when everyone else is? In my experience local ATC are generally good - but as I say I’m yet to go when conditions are a little more adverse... Any other top tips welcome too - how does the runway state hold up?

Thanks in advance...
Assess the weather while You are descending and check where the big no-go stuff is located by optimum use of your wx radar. In tropical regions You may well fly the whole final approach with the weather radar showing red till the runway because of heavy rain coming from a dissipating cell with no danger of microburst, windshear or hail. If You had scanned prior the approach that this very same cell was something going up to 40+ thousand feet then with the same (or very similar) weather radar picture it would be a no-go. The key point is to have the picture while you're still high descending and still have many options. Once you are satisfied with the analysis you can decide whether it's a go or hold.