PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK MFTS on or off the rails?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 11:27
LOMCEVAK

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by high spirits
We used to throw aircraft away with monotonous regularity in the 50s-80s. I would argue that we are just as capable now with fewer hours to go round and that the quality of training is better. This isn’t due to more hours, but higher quality. There you go, discuss that.
OK, I will discuss that. In the 50s-80s the aircraft types often had difficult flying qualities compared to modern platforms. The navigation and instrument systems were not as accurate and reliable as modern systems. There were no TAWS/GPWS systems or TCAS. The operating environment was often harsher with considerably more low level, multi-ship packages. There were no ADRs from which to identify lessons to improve safety. I consider that these factors had a far greater influence upon accident rates than pilot training.

I underwent RAF pilot training in the '70s and am still involved in post-graduate training of experienced military pilots as well as still flying UK MAA regulated fast jet aircraft. Therefore, I have seen the changes in the capabilities of RAF pilots and instructional standards over the years. Many of the changes are purely in line with changes in the aviation environment overall, in particular the skill sets that are required; they are different now to 20/30/40 years ago. Top level thoughts: the ability of today's pilots is the same as what it ever was but ability is the potential to learn and fewer skill sets are actually taught and learnt. Therefore, the capabilities of today's pilots is, in some areas, less than it used to be (eg. aerobatics). Today, there is far more emphasis on flying by regulation and by numbers and less on applying judgement, both making decisions and interpreting visual and acceleration cues in order to achieve the desired flightpath of the aircraft. The problem with judgement is that you can get it wrong. The problem with regulation is what happens when a novel situation occurs? A balance of the two is required, and this is where supervision comes in as it is required to achieve the correct balance.

With respect to formation flying, the motor skills of flying 'on the wing' are not actually very perishable. However, formation leading skills are very perishable. This is mitigated in part by good SOPs. Knowledge of and adherence to these SOPs requires careful preparation, adequate briefing and practise. To my mind this is, and always has been, the biggest risk in close formation flying.

Today's military aviation world is different to that of the past. I believe that the training of the time was appropriate over the 46 years of military aviation experience that I have. Which was more fun - let's save that for a bar somewhere! Which was 'best', that can never be a meaningful argument until the day that it is proven that apples and oranges are the same.

And yes, I have flown the Phenom in formation.

Rgds

L