PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HOW TO FLY?
Thread: HOW TO FLY?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2019, 09:10
Manwell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie
Manwell, all you are saying is basic IT, which every mil instructor has had drilled into them:

Demo
Direct
Monitor
Re-demo when needed
Monitor

The old adage of Power + Attitude (in balance) = Performance isn't worth Jack if the dopey student isn't critical enough to see that the performance isn't what is required, and the attitude or power or balance needs to be adjusted.
You've highlighted the problem clearly AC. We don't think the way we've been doing it for decades is the problem, so we just keep doing the same thing hoping for a different result. To be fair, this training philosophy doesn't magically allow a dodo to fly, and neither should it, but at least it doesn't pretend they can. You've also conveniently overlooked the bits that you couldn't fault, rather than seeing it as an integrated package. The first step to learning something new is to forget all we thought we knew, and go back to first principles. It wasn't easy for me to swallow my pride either, but I did, and you can too.

Looking at your last comment above, made me recall something important. What if the dopey student isn't able to see that the performance isn't as required because the even dopier instructor doesn't know how to teach?