PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA mandates replacement of R22 & R44 main rotorblades
Old 2nd Aug 2019, 10:57
aa777888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blakmax
Firstly, the blades I have worked with were not in AUS but they were in a tropical island location, so your point is transferrable. The issue of bond degradation is related directly fly to hydration of oxides on the surface off metals, and the surface preparation processes used during manufacture. Ideally the preparation process will produce hydration resistance, but older processes only provide short term resistance, and the susceptible surfaces eventually hydrate and the bond dissociates, leading to disbanding. This process is more rapid in hot-wet environments where the surface is susceptible to degradation, but in reality the main issue is the ability of the production processes to prevent hydration. The reason I am not bashing Robinson is that there is no specific regulatory requirement for a manufacturer to demonstrate resistance to hydration.
And this is why I need to check that there is paint over the bond line on the -5 blades every morning, correct?