PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2019, 21:33
BoxBoxCheez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fluroredbubbles
Hey all,

I'm 16 years old and currently in year 10 with a very strong desire to one day join the RAAF as a pilot, I've done a lot of research and can only think of this career going ahead, and have been doing so for quite some time now. I only have a few questions.

Next year, i'm studying general math and english with average scores (60 - 70%) with physics, psychology and legal studies and thinking about getting a cert 2 in a trade of some sort (mechanical engineering, automotive etc) the certificate is connected with school and basically counts as a subject, meaning I graduate with an ATAR and a certificate in a trade. I'm only thinking of doing a trade with school as it's just an added bonus with an ATAR, and all my brothers wish they had of done it.

I'm thinking of applying as soon as I finish school as a direct entry to a pilot although I can do it as early as 16 years and 6 months, being a pilot is my main focus, nothing else. I've done work experience up at RAAF Base Sale, volunteer as a lifesaver every summer, participate in multiple team sports and work as a basketball referee and part time at a chemist delivering medicine. I have no experience flying although I'm thinking of taking 1 normal flight lesson and then a few aerobatic flights, as a RPL is too expensive for me.

Is there anything I should consider changing?

I'm completely open to answering any questions and suggestions, such as getting experience in a specific workplace etc, just trying to get as much help as possible.

Thanks for your time and again i'm open to all responses
Mate your CV is 10x better than mine was, you’ve put some good thought into and started planning early which is great.

Don’t be too closed off to the idea of taking the ADFA route rather than DEO. You sound like a smart cookie that enjoys a full extra curricula calendar, exactly what the Academy offers. You get a free degree and get paid to learn, and that extra experience at studying whilst juggling real issues like pay, loans, leave etc will really help when you hit BFTS (or whatever we’re calling it these days!).