PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France to cease A380 operations
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2019, 13:43
EGPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps the A380, might end up with JAL for example as, do they not use 747 sized aircraft,bon pretty short domestic routes.
But ones that are vastly oversubscribed for want of a better description.
I hadn't realised the A380 was so ' out of date ' , as I'd thought at the launch event , which I watched. Much was made of the carbon fibre wings , so perhaps that was just marketing drivel .

The only other possible uses might be on well used Bucket and spade destinations, perhaps the notion of being able to take a few hundred pax to malaga in one shot , freeing up the normal 737/A320 for other holiday routes could be a money spinner for a holiday airline .

But maybe military use , either as a troop transport in the same vein as the old VC10 ( imho a superior aircraft ), and nicer looking than the lumbering beast of an A380 .

It does seem odd that these may end up getting sandworm in the desert , because noone wants them, when they are not very old and not even close to the maximum flight cycle .

Unless the African nations need a high density domestic use , it looks like Airbus wasted a whole tonne of money , that might have been better spent , either designing a replacement for the now 30 year old A319/420/321 or even a supersonic aircraft ,which is still the holy grail.

A sad waste though all the same .