PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HOW TO FLY?
Thread: HOW TO FLY?
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2019, 08:41
jonkster

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Manwell
Not quite jonkster. It's obviously not practical to cover every possible contingency, but it is practical and possible to teach people how to control power and attitude, and instil in them a passion for knowledge about their machine, and themselves. Yes, the contention is that currently, training doesn't teach the basics properly. By overloading the student with too much information during initial training that doesn't demonstrably contribute to either safety or efficiency, both safety and efficiency are compromised. The classic example of this is when a pilot forgets to fly the aircraft in an emergency, focusing instead on a wide variety of compelling distractions that would have been drummed into him by his instructor.
so we need to teach them good stick and rudder skills, prepare them for the most likely contigencies and to avoid overwhelming them in their early training with information but instead tailor it to their stage of progress? And encourage them to learn more about their aircraft and its systems , airmanship and aviation in general?

if so, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Reckon that is an ideal most would aspire to. Not sure it is a revolutionary idea though but do acknowledge it isn't always done well.

In terms of what I do badly in instructing, I suspect that many of the issues pilots really come unstuck over are often human factors rather than pure stick skill deficiences and teaching people and organisations how to operate to avoid the issues human factors throw at us is actually the thing we do quite badly as instructors (and organisations and regulators), not because we don't care or try but mostly because I don't think we as humans know how to best train people not behave as humans, or we think that if people are alerted to human factor issues they will not fall trap to them.

Tell me how we can better teach that area and that would be revolutionary.