PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The South China Sea's Gathering Storm
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 12:31
Lonewolf_50

Received 417 Likes on 260 Posts
Originally Posted by tartare
Lone - I'd respectfully suggest spending US$2.79 and reading the 144 page Lowy Paper Xi Jinping - The backlash by the same author, Richard McGregor - it's a short book available on Kindle.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Xi-Jinping-Backlash-Richard-McGregor/dp/1760893048

I don't do kindle, but thanks for the suggestion. I might find another way to get a handle on that paper.
I would have thought the same as you until recently - the reality is a lot more nuanced.
I believe that. Been following the changes in China mostly through the Economist, and a few other published western sources, so I am aware that I am only getting part of the story. The enemies that he's making within the Chinese power structure seem to me to be a different problem for him than public disquiet over a variety of his and the party's moves. As to Hong Kong, its unique position is precarious, and it seems to me a matter of time and momentum before the good times come to an end. That was my prediction when the turnover happened in '97, and all it took was longer than I expected. (Which is a damned shame, in my view, as it's one of the most unique and interesting, and alive, places I've ever been).
It's a fascinating and detailed, dispassionate insight into how Xi has created many, many enemies throughout China, who are biding their time.