PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristol-5
Thread: Bristol-5
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 10:53
MerchantVenturer

Brunel to Concorde

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ryanair

New ski season once weekly route to Turin announced yesterday. This will compete with easyJet and TUI. It's yet another route where Ryanair will go head to head with easyJet. Several additional Ryanair/easyJet routes have been announced in the past couple of years.

Originally Posted by Bristol_Traveller
The Airport's Facebook page is reporting the FIS is down again, back to manual boards and roaming assistants.

I wonder if it went down because they tried to fix the airline logos that have been missing since the last big outage? At least it seems to be running on Windows 10 now, not XP or Vista.
Tomorrow is the first anniversary of Dave Lees becoming CEO. He's had a few problems to oversea: the cyber attack; flybmi suddenly ceasing to operate resulting in the closure of the 5/6 aircraft BRS base; increasing vocal opposition to the latest expansion plans with climate change now firmly in the national psyche.

Originally Posted by Asturias56
"The idea of a planning "cap" seems a rather Luddite approach to the increasing demand for air transport, imposed by backward-looking councils to emphasise their own importance."

Alternatively a democratic response to the concerns of their voters and taxpayers who have to suffer noise and congestion so you can avoid the "jungles of LHR & LGW"

That's the problem - no-one wants any development near them - I'm sure you'd be the same if they decided to build a new motorway 400 yards from your rose covered cottage N of Bristol...................
As I'm replying to Asturias's post I want to make it clear that I was not the one who made the Luddite comment. Asturias is correct in that many people would be 'nimbys' if developments they did not like were proposed near them. Whether the majority of people living in North Somerset are against airport expansion I have no idea. Straw polls conducted by the local news media in the wider West Country invariably come out around a ratio of 70:30 in favour of the airport expansion. Broadly the same ratio applied when similar straw polls were held at the time of the previous major expansion planning applications approved by the local authority a decade ago.

This ratio never seems to be reflected in formal comments to the local authority though. Last time and on this occasion objections greatly outnumber support. I've not read the objections closely this time but last time I remember reading one from an Australian environmental group that probably had previously never heard of Bristol let alone Bristol Airport.

Reprising my comment in an earlier post, it might be no bad thing if the local authority planning committee rejects the application. The airport could then consider whether to appeal to the Planning Inspectorate where a wide-ranging enquiry could be carried out by a professional planning inspector free of local pressures. That's not to say that an inspector would necessarily ultimately overturn a local authority rejection decision, but at least it would have been thoroughly investigated by a professional well versed in government policy on the subject.