PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paying Back Pilot Loan
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2019, 10:03
Spid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is an important topic.

So 8 years after the last post, I wonder how is the market. And if it’s a good investment on the short, medium and long run. (I think only in the long run)

The training costs 70k

Living cost (if you live with your parents…) 18k? for 18-month course (That’s already fast) (well this cost can be cut down a little)

Extras such as interviews with companies, initial payment for a type rating (5k?), can sum up to 10k euro.

I think a realistic final budget until you start to make money can be up to 100k in a 18-24 month period since the start of the course. Correct me if I’m wrong.

You can have a monthly payback of 700 to 1000 euros, so your initial salary would be that amount less. Normally starting salaries (at least in Spain, don’t know the rest) are 2500euro to 3000euros if you are lucky, what results in 1500 to 2000 euro. That’s an… OK situation but is not fantastic. Maybe that salary can increase in the following years, but during around 10 years, you are subjected to a big debt. Precisely those 10 years in which your salary is minimum…

This being said, it’s true that you wouldn’t have the salary a pilot deserves from the beginning, but you would be paid in a dreamlike life. It’s a huge economic sacrifice, I guess only us, that are crazy would take that red pill.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. I will start my training in 6 months, and some experienced opinions would be appreciated.