PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aspiring Pilot - Seeking Class 1 & 2 Medical advise before commencing training.
Old 30th Jul 2019, 14:36
NovemberKiloHotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi

The CAA website has quite a lot of information on what conditions are acceptable/unacceptable for a class 1 medical in the guidance material section under professional pilot medicals. If you haven't already definitely check there before you go for your initial medical exam as you may be able to rule it out before spending the £600+. If you're still unsure about it, go to a doctor/optician and show them the eyesight or vision section of the guidance material as there are quite a lot of technical terms but they should be able to decode everything and give a more solid answer. At the end of the day, you'll need the medical to do your training so go ahead and get it done if you want but if I were you I would exhaust all other options first, you may save yourself quite a bit of money- I spent around £1600 in total due to some unexpected complications (an anomaly on my ECG-apparently quite common) and have only just received my medical certificate after a lengthy process of around 6 months of testing and waiting. I'm over the moon that I finally have an unrestricted class 1 but it wasn't a particularly fun process. As a disclaimer, I'm definitely not an expert by any means and for all I know you may breeze through it, I'm just giving my opinion on what I would probably do.

Best of luck and whatever you decide to do I hope it all goes well and you get your medical! :-)

Last edited by NovemberKiloHotel; 30th Jul 2019 at 21:42. Reason: Important detail