PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK ATC issues today?
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2019, 22:08
neilki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC IROPS

Originally Posted by giggitygiggity

It’s NATS this time. Yesterday we ended up cancelling the flight after over 5hrs with pax onboard. First two sectors cancelled today. How is the UK perpetually so vulnerable to this?

Yesterday there was a total stop on departures in any direction from LGW, I appreciate that it’s busy airspace, but when a CB rolls in over the Hudson, all NYC airports don’t shut down. Same in Paris.

Today a radar failure has resulted in (at my count) 33 cancelled flights from LGW for my airline ALONE. What is the cost of that financially? Happens a number of times a year; surely that’s worth installing a little more redundancy? Of course I realise that it is not that simple, but I think we just get into the mindset that the London airspace is simply just too busy for there ever to be any solution!

We are just frankly an embarrassment here in the UK.
I can assure you @giggitygiggity that when a storm rolls into NYC airspace chaos ensues. We get pretty decent 20 mile wide 100m long lines roll in over 8 months of the summer :-) and I for one am very happy when I'm either sat at my local in lower Manhattan or out on a trip somewhere. The North East US can be a nightmare in the summer. We had speed restrictions last week heading to Boston... on departure from RSW!!!